Friday, 4 May 2012

Che' Naar


When I grew up
And I grew bigger than my mother’s lap
And too big for my father’s shoulders
In my lonely pursuits
I was adopted by an old Chinar tree
It took me in
Like its own child
I was raised by its long branches
Longer than my wishes
Fed by its countless leaves
More than the stars I could count
At night, under its elderly shade

Sometimes when I was sad
I would be there
And it will be a beautiful woman
All dressed up in autumn gold
Dancing like a stubborn child
Stripping all her clothes
One after another
Day after day

At times when I was cold
It will be dressed like an Eskimo
In his long furry snowy coat
And I will warm it with my naked palms

My secret dreams were no more
A secret
When its big leafy hand
Assured me with love and faith

I still remember the day
How it shivered with pain
When I meant to leave
In my search of dreams
I wove on its kind branches

And then when I grew older
Away from its vigil motherly gaze
Some dreams lost their meaning
Some matter more
Every now and then
I kept missing its wise company

But today I am shivering with deeper pain
Grave news reached me from home
My friend Chinar is no more
 It strangled itself with loneliness
And left me in a note
On a piece of its bark
“I am here, forever”
I keep reading it again and again
With tears falling like winter dewdrops
As if to reaffirm my belief in its last note
Beyond the reality of the sad truth

Its unmarked grave is marked
With few fading circles now
Like the orbiting planets
Of our universe
Marking each year we lived together

A ring of my faith
Is cast every morning now
When I circle it over and over again
To find my last raiment
Of hope
I wait in circles
For it to take me in again
Once more
Once more
Forever

5 comments:

  1. Great work!!
    If I've got it right, it's rather allegorical...
    Anyway, I liked it for the simplicity and grace of its words:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Che' Naar title is so apt and defines the whole saga of pain
    needless to say the flow of words after the title is breath taking and so natural..great work!
    Munazah Gulzar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Munazah...you are always generous with you comments. I am really honored!!! Thanks once again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Honesty of your words brings this generosity.......
    Munazah

    ReplyDelete
  5. beautiful expression of the pain of goodbye.

    ReplyDelete