Sunday, 25 August 2013

Midnight Call

Long back
She left

The healing hand of time
Painted my broken heart
Twice, since

I was learning to sleep
Again

Then
One midnight
She called me

Initial hellos couldn't stop silence
To hang in the wires
 For few moments
Like an old pendulum clock
About to strike the hour

She broke the pause
And said,

“I don’t like the idea…”
Her voice almost choking

“What idea?”
I replied irritatingly

“I don’t like the idea
Of you sleeping near that doll
Besides your bed.”

SILENCE.

“Go back to sleep
Or I’ll replace the doll with someone real.”

“No you won’t…”

“Good night…”

SILENCE.

The pain in her voice
Echoed long into the night
I drifted off to sleep
With difficulty

Next morning
When I woke up
Struggling to squeeze
My last dream
Out of my eyes

The doll besides my bed
Was gone


SILENCE.

No comments:

Post a Comment