Tuesday, 5 July 2016

Who’s Eid is it tomorrow?

Who sights the crescent
And not see the bloodspots on the moon?
Where is the joy for celebration coming from?
Whose guts are still hungry for the delicacies?
Why is my heart bleeding like the mother’s heart
Who lost her son
Then another son
Then another son
Then her daughters too?
Who stays up whole night to console her?
How many fathers have lost their appetite for life?
How many families lost their hope?
Who is counting the days of Ramadhan
And not the number of dead bodies everywhere?
How many dead bodies make up for a joyful Eid?
How many parents lie shamelessly to their children
And tell them it’s alright to celebrate?

Oh God of Ramadhan!
Give me wings right now
So I can fly
From Baghdad to Madina
To count all the graves freshly watered
And if I finish by morning Azaan
I’ll declare Eid for myself unequivocally
Without any shame

No comments:

Post a Comment