I walked into the sadness of the night
Overhearing my poems talking to each other
Gathered around the fire of my being
“Why is he sad tonight?”
“He is looking for a new one.”
“No, he is looking for a young one.
A child’s innocence
A virgin smile.”
I walked
Till the voices became a distant echo
I reached the seashore
Measuring the coastline of my dreams
With each step
Then when I added
One more sigh to the strings of sighs
I heard an old familiar voice
Coming from the darkness
Of my nostalgic past
“I am the oldest of your poems.
I have seen you grow in sadness and joy.
Shall I do something for you tonight?
Shall I make a Rabab out of rainbow
With strings made of each color?
Shall I sing the songs of Lala
Or a sufi dirge of Hamadan?
Tell me, I can weave you a dream
Of your beloved land,
Free,
Peopled by love and chinar.
Or shall I open a window to Dal
Or let Jehlum flow from my eyes.”
I smiled.
Few stubborn tears marked two alifs
On my numb cheeks.
I sat down against the pillow of sand
Facing vast constellations of my unknown fate.
“Sing me from Wahab Khar tonight.”
The voice rose like a spear towards heaven
I hummed
Till the eyes of the child inside me
Met morning dew.
The first ray of sunlight
Washed my face with a virgin smile.
No comments:
Post a Comment