Monday, 20 January 2014

If Only

Unlike us
The couples
I see at the station
Meet
At exact agreed upon time

They kiss and hug each other
But not with our lips and arms

They smile at each other
With eyes which are not ours too

They hold each other’s hands
And walk towards home
But not our home
Which is empty
Dead
With unnatural silence
Of our absence

The only clue
To our frightful presence there
Is the broken vase on the floor
And the empty wall
Where the square-mark
Of the picture
In which you and I
Were kissing
Is still hanging

I go to station often
To watch couples
Kissing
Hugging
Hand-holding
Home-walking
And I think to myself
This could have been us!

This could have been us
If only
You would have kissed me
Hugged me
Held my hand
And walked home with me
That fateful night


If only…

No comments:

Post a Comment