Friday, 11 March 2016

We Didn’t Die This Year

After a fiery passionate relationship
Followed by devastating heartbreak
We grew apart like two winters
Falling in the same year
Silence made sure
The mountains of our shared memories
Remained snow-covered throughout

We get in touch with each other
Only once a year now
At a literary festival
Where we both come to buy
Shakespeare’s Romeo & Juliet
The same book we had bought and read together
Many years ago

As soon as I get it
I find some lonely corner
Away from the crowd
Like I imagine she does too

She reads the lines of Romeo
I read the lines of Juliet
And finally we both die together
In each other’s arms

Afterwards I get up
As she must too
With our impassioned souls
To get lost
Back into the mundane routines
Of our conventional habitual life
Waiting for next year to come soon

This year I hear
We didn’t die

No comments:

Post a Comment