Friday, 25 April 2014

Party




I knew
We were in the same room
Along with others
Pretending to be listening
To everyone around us

But our minds were on each other’s presence
Like the inevitable awareness of a distinct perfume

She nervously kept fidgeting with her scarf
I pretended I am engrossed in my phone

Each moment felt heavier
Our mutual presence was weighing us down

Finally
After exhausting all the options
Of avoiding each other
She walked up to her friend
Sitting beside me
And told her,

“I should be leaving now”

But why so early?
The party has just started!

“No dear!”
“I left a story someone sent me half finished”
“I want to see how it ends”

She left
Saying good bye to everyone
Except me
Leaving whiffs of her perfume in the room
And a smile on my face

Later
While leaving the party alone
I consoled myself saying
“At least she is in the middle of my story”

1 comment:

  1. Sir,
    This is Farheen from cambridge school, srinivaspuri.
    I m not sure if you remember me.
    I was just going through my news feed on facebook when i saw the link to your blog.
    I read most of the posts and believe me, they fascinate me.
    It was hard for me to decide on which one to comment.
    I must say you write so well. I wish we had more time in school together. I want to learn a lot from you.
    I miss the ' Life Skills' class you used to give.
    I salute your art of writing. (y)

    ReplyDelete